The deadline for nominations for the 37th annual Mayor's Arts Awards has been extended to Monday, January 12. The awards will be presented by the Lincoln Arts Council (LAC) Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at the Lied Center. The Mayor's Arts Awards program formally recognizes artistic contributions and achievements in the Lincoln area. Nomination forms are available by calling the LAC at 402-434-2787 or printing a form from the LAC website, artscene.org. A list of previous winners also is available at that website.
A panel of arts professionals will select the winners for these awards:
- The Richard Hay Outstanding Arts Organization Award recognizes an arts group that has made significant contributions to Lincoln's arts community over a period of years.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Visual Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any of the visual arts, including theatre and film.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Youth recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any arts discipline by a young person age 18 or younger.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Performing Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any of the performing arts, including film.
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Literary Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any literary form.
The Gladys Lux Education Award recognizes special initiatives in or dedication to arts education.
- The Legacy of the Arts Award recognize an individual age 55 and up actively involved in creating, teaching, sharing or inspiring artistic expression in any discipline.
The Heart of the Arts Award recognizes an individual or organization for outstanding volunteer dedication to the arts or for making a major overall impact on the arts in Lincoln.
- The ArtScene Backstage Award recognized extraordinary service to the arts through behind-the-scenes efforts.
- The Outstanding Event Award recognizes a performance, exhibition or project in the previous year (2014) that will be notable in the community memory for years to come because of its content or cultural significance.
- The Benefactor of the Arts Award honors an individual, family, organization or business making significant financial contributions to the arts.
- The Lincoln Community Foundation Arts for Kids Award honors an individual or organization from outside of the arts professions whose leadership has enhanced arts activities and experiences for children.
Nominators are asked to select a category or categories they feel would be most appropriate for their nominees, but the judges may consider the nominee for other categories as well. Nominations from the previous year are automatically resubmitted, and updates are accepted.
The public is encouraged to submit names of members of the arts community who have died since the last awards ceremony in May 2014 for memorial recognition.
Those interested in sponsorships for the event may contact the LAC at 402-434-2787.