Residential Development: President Ambassador
The Interfaith Housing Coalition became a nonprofit organization in 1991 to own and operate the historic President and Ambassador apartments. The coalition saw a need for low-income housing in the downtown area and their buildings provided a safe and convenient location for residents.
By 2012, extensive renovation was needed. The art deco buildings, which were built in 1928, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, so renovating as well as preserving the buildings was critical to the coalition.
Today, under the leadership of President Robert Lange and after an 8 million dollar upgrade, the units are bigger, modernized and more livable. The renovation included new appliances, greater wheelchair accessibility and an upgraded elevator system.
The President and Ambassador buildings hold a rich piece of downtown’s history. Thanks to the Interfaith Housing Coalition, these apartments will continue to help low-income residents find a reliable place to live and continue to enrich downtown’s culture.